This report covers my Waitematā Local Board Activities during July to October 2017 as Lead of the Planning and Heritage portfolio; co-holder of the Transport portfolio; Local Board representative on the Parnell Business Association; and, member of the Auckland Domain Committee. The general election campaign and aftermath proved to be more time consuming than I had expected, hence the lengthy gap between reports.
- I have created two new online, interactive maps of the heritage sites and the notable trees in the Waitematā Local Board area.
- The Fukuoka Garden was formally opened on 17 July. I spoke as the Local Board’s representative at the opening following Mayor Goff and Mayor Takashima of Fukuoka City.
- The Local Government New Zealand Conference was held in Auckland at Sky City between the 23rd and 25th of July. I attended as member of the Local Board and also as the Zone 1 representative of the Young Elected Members Committee of LGNZ.
- On 28 July I sat as an Independent Hearings Commissioner on a panel to approve a day/night cricket match extending into Sunday at Eden Park. The consent was granted.
- I attended the Independent Resource Consent Commissioner re-certification course on 9 August to renew my accreditation to sit on resource consent hearings panels. I am the Local Board’s delegated member for these matters. I passed my re-certification and will now be eligible for hearings commissioner work until 2022.
- The Waitematā Good Citizens Awards were a highlight of the last few months. Held on 12 October, I was pleased to present the individual achievement awards with Deputy Chair Chambers.
- I keep track of resource consent applications as they are received by Council, requesting further information, plans and Assessments of Environmental Effects for applications of interest. Significant applications are referred to the relevant residents’ associations for their input which I then relay to planners as part of the Local Board’s input. Reporting of resource consent applications, planning portfolio input, hearings and decisions in the Local Board area for this month is detailed in the Heritage, Urban Design and Planning section of this report under the headings ‘Planning’: ‘Resource Consents’.